About Me

My photo
Life gives me Melons is a nod to my Lydexia and ADD. My mind, as I am often told, does not work like others. I tend to make odd connections - often going through 10 to 15 connections to finally come round to the point. Reader beware – you may find that I do indeed make sense . . .

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Edgewood RCS497 Reflective Question - Week 1

I am opening my blog with my closing Capstone Class for Edgewood Collage.  It has been a long run that I am anxious to finish, but have loved the insight and challanges given me there. 

Consider yourselves as users of technology:  What do you think are the implications of using technology for the purpose of communicating our ‘social selves”?
 

We are social beings for the most part.  The desire to keep connected has long been a part of our history.  Letters were the first long distance communication.  Then as advancements were made came the telegraph, then the phone.  As computers came along, and bulletin boards appeared, followed by email.   Today few people do not have an email address, either for work or personal.  It has become part of our culture.  Electronic mail has the advantage of convenience, instant transmission, and an organized address book.  For myself, email has allowed me to communicate to family and friends who I would rarely or never communicate with snail mail. 



But Email is no longer the sole mode of communication via a computer.  The internet has expanded on options for social communication. Well know social networks like MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter allow friends and family to keep in touch instantly, with photos and everything.  Though I don’t post on a daily basis, my daughter often posts on the hour with such fascinating information as the paper she is working on, who just walked into the room, and what current food item she is eating.  As fascinating as these are, they do not pertain to my need in communication with her.  But evidently it meets what here and her friends needs are.  Perhaps this is also why I do not access twitter any longer as I do not need to know the every second aspects of peoples day.



Having this much ability to communicate, twenty four / seven, and to expresses anything that comes to mind, is both a blessing and a curse.  We have social “filters”, etiquette.  But when your online, not in person, one can easily drop the social etiquette and speak exactly what’s on your mind – no filters.  This is not always a good thing.



The internet, not unlike many complex inventions; they can be wonderful tools, or deadly weapons.  The internet is a two edge sword in that there is a plethora of information, but what is real, or correct?  What is published online can be whole truth, part truth, or no truth at all.  This applies to socializing on the net.  There is an anonymity of sorts when it comes to the web.  You can create an avatar – or post a false picture of yourself.  You can be any one, any sex, from any place.   



So there is a “dark” side, not unlike the force. 

‘Feeds on Fear it does, anger mmm. Deception’ as Yoda would say.



As technically trained Information Systems people, we have a higher responsibility when using the internet as a social network.  We understand that not everything is “real”, and how easy it is for less savvy users to abuse or misunderstand the implications of open communication.  The number of FLAMERS on message boards and social network sites proves how easy it is to be critical and sarcastic of others.  It is the ugly side of social networking.  Sitting at a computer, disconnected physically, it’s easy to shoot verbal barbs at faceless contacts.  Even “friends” can fail to realize the implications of words typed without forethought.  As Social networking continues to become embedded in our society, it is important for those with experience and knowledge to set the example of  proper etiquette. 



Communication via the web will continue to grow and expand.  Each individual has to take responsibility for his or her actions out there.  No matter what changes happen in the growing communities, there will always be anonymity, and those who miss use it.  But with any technology that grows to become the norm in society, users become knowledgeable.  The tool and it becomes more and more useful, common place, and less dangerous to those who are clumsy or ignorant.     



I for my part love the fact that I can contact lost friends, keep in touch with family thousands of miles away.  Facebook keeps me up to date on birthdays, holiday doings, family events, and just day to day life.  It is a powerful tool when used right.   

1 comment:

  1. I certainly like the part where you say that when do dont have the person next to us we tend to drop our social filters etiquette!...which is not always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete