About Me

My photo
Life gives me Melons is a nod to my Lydexia and ADD. My mind, as I am often told, does not work like others. I tend to make odd connections - often going through 10 to 15 connections to finally come round to the point. Reader beware – you may find that I do indeed make sense . . .

Monday, January 16, 2012

Graduate, job hunt, move, REBOOT


(originally saved October 28th 2011)  

I finished my Bachelors in Computer Science in of August of 2011.  I had grandiose plans of keeping up this blog, now that I would have free time.  The first two weeks after finishing school were sheer bliss.  I did a LOT of nothing . . (you know like reading, going for walks, catching up on Dr. Who episodes I’d missed.)  I felt like there was this huge load off my shoulders.  Ahhhhhh

So That didn’t last long.  Working for the State of Wisconsin in the Walker regime, especially as a contractor, just not a stable place.  So the massive job hunt (one that had been going on for quite a while – don’t get me started on insurance please) kicked into overdrive.  I had over 45 interviews, both live and on the phone.  I came in 2nd at least 20 times.  Madison Wisconsin was turning out to be a poor place to find employment as an IT professional – that is unless you want to do contract jobs all the time and have poor benefits and crappy insurance. (No offense to those I worked with at TechSystems.  Unfortunately it’s the nature of the beast that all of the contracting firms I’ve worked for have poorer benefits, it just is.)  Expanding the search to area’s of the country I wouldn’t mind living, I received even more phone calls and interview appointments. 

Enter IBM.  I mean – it’s IBM!!!  They have a New Delivery center in Columbia Mo. I was encouraged to apply for three areas, and I had 3 interviews. End of story – I was offered a position starting October 10th 2011.   Holy Crud – how did that happen???? 

So Now I had even more work to do in packing.  Getting ready to move to Columbia, trying to pack the house ahead of time.  Every night and weekend is devoted to this trek.  I am a zombie - focused only on packing, and then once I'm down there - taking in the "firehose" of training and orientation at IBM.

What will the future bring?  Don't know for sure.  I have a lot of opportunities, but have left a lot behind.

Life, Gile -Thomas ver 5.0 - REBOOT 

No comments:

Post a Comment